Monday 1 August 2016

Hermione leaves the Seine


I'm sitting under a tree on the banks of the Yonne beside the Montereau Capitainerie in order to get Wifi. My good wife has been trying to sort out Wifi on the boat for nearly three months and has failed. It all came to a head this afternoon when I was told that, if I was a proper man I would be able to sort it out, If I knew more than just a bit about engines, not the bits that go wrong, then I would be of some use. 

I have to say I have been feeling slightly inadequate lately not least because I don't quite know too much about my navigational equipment. I had a conversation with Nicky from Puddleduck about my plotter which went like this:

I may be able to help you update your plotter what make is it?
Er a Raymarine I think
Yes but what model?
Ooh not sure, it has a big screen.
Is it an A or a C
Blank look
How old?
54
Not you, the Raymarine?
Ooh I don't know it came with the boat
When you start it up what does it say?
Nothing it just shows me charts.
I'll show you on mine. You see this it says version 17:45
I thought that was the clock.


So I have to confess I'm not a whizz with the electronomics. Still it is very pretty sitting here writing the blog.


Anyway I have got a bit ahead of myself. From Melun we make for Samois Sur Seine but there is no room at the dock so we travel a little further up stream to port Avon a nice little marina on the river.

From here we can cycle to Fontainebleu Chateau.


Fontainebleu Chateau is one of those places that everyone should visit it has everything from the table Napoleon signed his abdication at in 1814 to a Fountain depicting Diane the Huntress and,


in true French style,  four dogs taking a piss.

Having cycled the two miles up there from the Seine I understand the saddle soreness associated with this hunting retreat.

We managed a lovely barbecue this time overlooking the boat from the bank with no issues and no sausages of any kind.


Stayed at Port Avon for three days and chilled a bit, bought a new French hose that leaks every where. I was going to take it back but closer inspection showed an uncanny uniformity about the leaks. At this point Caro pointed out that I had bought a hose designed to irrigate a flower bed. Doh!

I did however manage to lose the push fitting nossle down in to the water tank. Pushed it in and it plopped off. Marvelous.

Next stop Montereau Fault Yonne where the Duke of Burgundy was murdered by the Dauphin King, or rather his mates, during peace talks in 1419. Sound clever don't I?  I think the Austrians may have got a kicking here also at some point.

That's it, the Seine is done we are now on the Yonne heading for Sens. Slightly worrying as they have slopy sided locks here just for a laugh.

Just so you didn't begin to think that I had stopped bashing my swede:


Notice the careful dressing by my lovely, caring wife. She just didn't want me bleeding everywhere. I find that before one tries to exit through a companionway hatch one should open the bloody thing!

4 comments:

  1. Of course, this latest version of the Raymarine chartplotter software came with its own wifi channel. Caroline was soo excited by this that she immediately logged on to it. She was utterly distraught to find that it still didn't have an internet connection. At this stage I felt partly responsible for Caroline's rapidly developing alcohol problem.
    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love reading your blog, always gives me a laugh. It is just like being sat round the table with listening to you telling your stories. Jeff wonders what I am laughing at. Keep up the good work both of you x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love reading your blog, always gives me a laugh. It is just like being sat round the table with listening to you telling your stories. Jeff wonders what I am laughing at. Keep up the good work both of you x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Nikki I blame you too. See the next one!

    ReplyDelete